Saturday, September 29, 2012

Philippine Model Congress

From what started from a text from a high school friend, led to an eye-opening and learning experience.

My friend Tricia and I
Photo by Thomas Rosal
I was doing my homework when my friend Tricia texted me telling me that she and a couple of her friends are organizing this thing called the Philippine Model Congress to be held in the Batasan Pambansa (which was eventually held in the Senate). She was wondering if I was interested in helping out. My instinct said YES but reluctance followed because I wasn't so sure what this Congress was exactly about. So, I had follow up questions.

I got to view the website they were still working on and understood what it was. It was simulating the youth into what goes on in the proceedings in the House of Representatives. I thought that it was such a pioneering idea. And I got on board. I posted about the event on Facebook hoping students at my university would sign-up.
Photo by Michael Lorenzana


Eye-opening experience
Official Publicity Material
Credits to Lance Katigbak
I went to one of the meetings of the executive committee and thought about how amazing this group of teenagers were. They're my age yet they're doing something big for our youth. Being in that room with them reminded me that it's this kind of attitudes and hope they possess that will bring about change in our society. We shouldn't waste the opportunities to strive for excellence and do what we can to help empower our fellow youth and change the world for the better.

During the event itself, I saw how passionate all the 350 delegates (if I remember right) were in what they were doing. They had speeches and debates on the different aspects of our society such as the economic, political, and environmental arenas. It blew my mind how many political jargon they knew! It was jaw-dropping to have heard their conviction when they expressed their thoughts on the pressing issues in our society today (some that I didn't even know existed). I was really expecting a lot of talks about changing the world, how congress works, and then experience it by simulation. But they exceeded my expectations way more than I imagined. They came equipped and prepared for battle as shown in how my mind blew up, my jaw dropped, and the statement before that. The reality definitely knocked out my expectations. It's crazy but at the same time amazing. It became an avenue for an exchange in ideas, an avenue in presenting resolutions they drafted that one day could make its way to the senate, and an avenue to expand their connections. I think this is the reason why we go to these kinds of events - to increase our knowledge and awareness on whatever the topic at hand is and to meet new people. And man, there's a really big possibility that our future mayors, congressmen, senators, or even presidents were in that Senate Hall.

One of the photos I took.
Post-processed by Lance Katigbak
Learning experience
I was delegated the task to man the photobooth. I had to encourage the delegates and their companions to go to the photobooth, snap their picture, and then send them out to printing. The only thing was that it was the first time I handled the photographic umbrella. The issue I had to handle was getting the flash to work on the umbrella after a period of standby. I knew how to get it on, yet it wouldn't. I asked the people in the photobooth to wait for a minute. I rushed to my friend, Mark, who saved the moment! Apparently, I didn't press the button long enough to get it on. Lesson learned. Press the power button longer! I went back to the photobooth a minute later (hoping that this wouldn't leave a negative impact to those who were waiting. I guess they were having a good time that this little set back didn't affect them in that way. Besides, they got a good picture ;) haha). From that instant, I learned the importance of getting to know the equipment well beforehand so that what occurred wouldn't happen. Professionalism even in what seems like a simple task.
Photo by Michael Lorenzana
But aside from tasks, after a fact-filled talk from Maria Ressa I learned about Rappler.com - a website containing news stories with a mood meter per story where the readers could click what they felt about the it. It will show you the different emotions of the readers and their different percentages.

Seeing old faces and meeting new ones
Another great part of that day was seeing the faces I used to see almost everyday in the corridors of my high school. The next photo as you scroll down is with my friends from the lower batch who also helped in the organizing committee and my friend who is part of the executive committee. On the other hand, I met people from the organizing and executive committees and even from the delegates!

with Kyra Albano, Tricia Peralta, and Kitkat Cuenca
Photo by Thomas Rosal







After the event, everyone left the senate tired but at the same time bringing home new lessons, experiences, and friends!

I then proceeded to dinner with my fellow Filipino Google Student Ambassadors to celebrate our fellow-GSA, Johan Aguilar's birthday. We also planned projects to implement this upcoming school year! Stay tuned for that! Add us to your circles on Google+ and like us on Facebook for updates!

After all these, I'm glad Tricia texted me that one day. My hopes in the youth being the hope of the future are stronger now than ever.
Thanks to David Ramos for this photo!

3 comments:

  1. This makes me extremely proud of you, Bells! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hihi thank yoouuu in my baby voice! Love you, Sam! :*

      Delete
  2. Nice images! Filipinos are talented in terms of hosting and designing. Philippines are one of the most creative in terms of designs.


    philippines graphic design

    ReplyDelete

What's up, reader?