Monday, October 8, 2012

Future Faces

Growing up, I've always been constantly been reminded of the importance of education. Teachers would tell us to cherish the education our parents are paying for because not everyone gets to enjoy their right to be in a classroom, to do school-related activities, to sit in a classroom and listen to teachers, and all the other things we do in school; not everyone gets the same quality education we are getting in our private schools. 

My parents would also remind me of the importance of prayer, studying, making the most of my time through time management, and the list goes on but I put emphasis on studying.

Five years ago, all these led to me having this great belief that education is the key to a progressive future. 

Our generation and the generations to come are the future leaders of our country. Imagine having more leaders who make educated decisions. Imagine the course our country would be taking. Imagine more laws and programs being made that would progress our country. Imagine more corporate social responsibility present. Imagine that wonderful future you dream of concretized. Imagine a just and free society. All these imaginations can someday be a reality. I really think one way is through education. 

Education is important because it sharpens a person’s mind and character. We learn lessons we need in life (although there are still some that I don't understand why we have to study haha). Kidding aside, it is through education that we can actualize the potentials of the Filipino people. We mold their minds, their hearts, their character. We teach them the sense of patriotism to be of service to the Filipino people. We teach them to be Lasallian achievers for God and country.

Last August, I had the privilege of helping a charity called Future Faces Manila Foundation. The foundation aims to "maximize educational opportunity for children from low-income families by offering them tuition assistance to attend colleges and universities in the Philippines." They had their 2nd annual fundraising activity called Heartisty 2 where they had a fashion show and I got check two things off my Things to do before I reach 20 list (haha yeaaa I have a list) which I made five years ago because of it: 
1. To help out in a non-profit organization specifically one that does something about education and 
2. Walk on a runway in a fashion show.  

The event was held at the Rockwell Tent last August 10, 2012.
Photo credits to Served Fresh
The show was hosted by Chris Tiu and Alex Gonzaga (both in white).
And that's the Chief Executive Officer of Future Faces Manila, Winnie Wong (in red)
         
         A fully packed tent. One runway. Bright lights. Adrenaline rush. One great cause!
Photo by my dad






 Photo credits to JVH

     My friend    
   Kevin (right)       
  and his sister 
     Karla (left)

Hair by Louis Phillip Kee Salon
Make-up by Grace Malimban (if I remember right).

Two of the kidssss!
Photo by my dad


Photo by my dad
We the ladies got to model:
Clothes from Ropa Atletica, DNA, and Sprinto
Shoes from Suelas
Clutches from Klutches of Karma
Shades from Sprinto
Photo by my dad
DNA & SUELAS
Every season on America's Next Top Model the contestants always talk about that exhilarating feeling of walking the runway. I always had this concept in my head but to experience and live it was amazing! I hope to get to do more of it in the future! ;) hehe

Photo credits to Served Fresh
ROPA ATLETICA
Photo credits to Served Fresh
SPRINTO

Thanks Princess (in green) for this photo!

I really think doing something to transform people’s lives through education is ONE of the things that I will be doing in my life. I still don’t have concrete steps but I have this vision and this drive and it starts with those. I’ve helped out with Future Faces Manila which is one step towards that direction. So, I hope to get to help more in the non-profit organizations area especially for education and maybe walk more fashion shows ;) Maybe one day, more kids will get to go to enjoy their right to education. Wait, it’s not a maybe. It will happen. I will do something about it. Someone will do something about it. Let us all do something about it!

My mother told me that my grandfather always told her, "It is good to be learned and educated…”

7 comments:

  1. Wow. You're more amazing than I thought you are. Keep it up. :)

    -OPRES guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you're so kind. Thank you, OPRES guy! Woo OPRES!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Queenie. Sorry for the late reply. I just paid a visit prior to the resumption of my accounting review. Yay for OPRES. I don't see you often during the activities tho. :P I'm also a friend-colleague of Aldo Manzano, who is obviously your friend. :)) WOODROSE GIRLS ARE :"> HEHEHE

      -OPRES guy

      Delete
    3. Good luck with accounting - ACTBAS1? 2? ACTPACO? Mods? Board Exams? As for the activities, I'm doing R&D for Students' Rights and Welfare so I'm more behind my laptop. I'm not sure if you'll still reply to this, but in case you do, where are you a friend-colleague of Aldo?

      Next time, don't be shy and leave your name :)

      Delete
    4. ACTBAS2 under Sir Menaje. :) I was a LIA-COM last year; I am ID 111 as well. :) Oh, nice. Yeah, I saw you during the pictorial for the first time. :O :)) Well, I'm OMB for OPRES, yet I still go to the activities since we're usually short of manpower. :( Ahm, In The LaSallian. :)

      I'm shy. @-) We'll probably meet soon, hopefully. For now, let me daydream for that moment. :P

      PS. Don't worry. I check your blog site in a regular basis. :D

      -shy OPRES guy

      Delete
    5. Good luck with all your work and thank you :)

      Delete
    6. Thank you, ms. Queenie. Hope to meet you personally soon.

      -OPRES guy aka Jerome Alvarez :)

      Delete

What's up, reader?