Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cheerdancing

One thing that makes me really happy is dancing.

It's when I let the music take me away and just let every fiber in my body move along to its beat and rhythm. It's about the moves I can make; the different ways I can contort my body. It's a way for me to relax whether it be through dancing to the bass blasting through the speakers or through pretending to be a ballerina with slower tunes.
Photo by Mari Olan

Dance gives me a certain euphoria. When I dance, I feel like I'm in a whole new zone; it's my little world where I know I best express myself. Let's face it.. I'm not exactly a singer like my sibling who can carry many different tunes, I'm working on my writing, and I definitely know I talk a lot too. But when I dance, it's inexplainable. I know there's a term to describe it, but I just can't catch it right now.

Ever since I entered college, dance went from my top priorities to one of my least priorities as compared to high school. I became more focused on my academics. I became very active in a political organization. I still hung-out with friends. I made time for my family and time to pray. I have no complaints. I'm very happy where I am in my life right now. But a certain realization just entered my head - I practically shunned dance off. There were a few moments I got to relive it. My friend Alex got me to go dance with a dance crew in school called Skittlez. But I only got myself to go twice. Again, I didn't prioritize it.



But a few days ago, during my spare time, I started missing it (again). I started missing the feeling I get - that euphoric feeling. So, I decided to go on YouTube and watch my cheerdancing videos. I went from the one uploaded to my account to another person's account. This person I'm assuming is the one who has been capturing the official videos for the closing of intramurals in my alma matter, considering the angle by which it is taken is the probably the best seat in the house. The videos she uploaded in 2012 were of really good quality. Plus you get the macro view so the dances and the pep squad look even better. But I noticed she only had the ones for the batches after us. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and inboxed her asking if she got to video the years before the lower batches. Hihi. A few hours later, she replied and said yes she filmed it but hasn't uploaded it. She also added that she'll upload it in her spare time this week.

Oh so kindly she did :) and extremely grateful I am. A few minutes ago, she linked me to the videos of all the four teams during my senior year. jfdhjdfsgjsgfhl one of the things that truly makes me happy. Thank you, Patricia Cabauatan!

Waiting for the results of the winners!
The first video below is the Green Griffins. This was the team I was in. This was the end result of the months of conceptualization and planning (with a lot of agreements and disagreements from blocking to costumes to anything to add to the grandeur of the parade), choreographing, props-making, practicing, and bonding.

There were also the "mommies" who stayed late in school to learn the steps to teach to the younger batches they were assigned to. There were the props-people who worked day in and day out painting banners and putting them out in the quadrangle under the sun, making pompoms, and what not. Even days of getting Mcdo or pizza delivered to school early and being tempted to eat instead of practicing. Hehe. Months of competitiveness mostly bringing out the best in us. We learned discipline, time management, sportsmanship, to name a few. But the best part - all our efforts summed up to four different parades with all our hearts poured into it.

I miss this but at the same time, I am proud of this. I also can't wait to FINALLY (I hope) visit this school year and see the magic.

I know that there are a whole lot more amazing dancers and choreographers out there who are more trained and skilled. But it feels good to have dance in my life and do it every chance I get :)

Green Team
Team Captain: Pam Villareal
Co-captain: Monica Pontejos
Choreographers: Zia Grimares & Queenie Reyes
Thanks also Jess De Leon for helping us out with the dances.


Here are the other teams too!

Gold Team
Team Captain: Kc Nicolas
Co-captain: Cathy Dario
Choreographers: Montsie Guerrero & Cara Alegre

Blue Team
Team Captain: Anj Nguyen
Co-captain: Alexis Sarmiento
Choreographers: Bea Gorrez & Katsy Garcia


I can't seem to get the video linked. I'll try to get it up soon. :)
Red Team
Team Captain: Anna Victorino
Co-captain: Blaise Cureg
Choreographers: Jellie Sim & Martha Estrada


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up, reader?