Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Top 10 from World Youth Day 2013 in Brazil

In the light of Pope Francis' Papal Visit to the Philippines, I'd like to share my experience during the World Youth Day last 2013 held at Rio de Janeiro Brazil.
The De La Salle Philippines Delegation with some of our new friends at the World Youth Day at Copacabana Beach.
Photo from Karla Co.
Not in photo: Sir JayJay and Sir Rico.



Students from DLSU.
From left to right: Felix, Isa, Queenie, Kat, and Kenji.

Before leaving for Brazil, the De La Salle Philippines delegation had preparations for the 2-week trip. We were prepared on our faith through reflections and readings and we were prepared for the logistics and our well-being through talks from various speakers who have gone through the experience before.

All these preparations prepared me spiritually and physically for the trip, but once I was there in the middle of the sea of people in the Copacabana beach, I was positively overwhelmed with emotions on an experience of a lifetime.

So here were the top 10 experiences and lessons I had from that trip.

10. Sleeping on the Floor
These photos were taken in the classroom which served as our sleeping area for 10 days.

Taft girls.
From left to right: Isa, Kat, Alex, Thea, and Queenie.

The 14 of us from the Philippines together with the rest of the Lasallian community from around the globe came together under one roof in Colegio La Salle Abel in Niteroi City, Brazil. The week prior to the WYD, we had the International Lasallian Youth Meeting which was another experience to be written about.

Each country was given one classroom each, and the girls and boys were put in separate floors. The girls shared the room with three girls from the Middle East. We'd sleep on sleeping bags on the marble floors of the school. Every day, we'd wake up to temperatures as low as 9C. We'd even run to the bathrooms to make body heat to counter the cold. During this time, it made me think about those who didn't have roofs above their heads or blankets to counter the cold. We have to remember to pray for these people and to do something to help them.



9. The Morning and Evening Commute in the Bus
Sleepy eyes with Isa

6AM


Even before the sun rose, people were already walking through the streets of Rio catching the bus, the train, or whatever means of transportation they were going to take to Copacabana Beach.

On the first day, it was an adventure since we had to find our way around. Many people with flags were usually the telling signs that we were in the right place.

We had a long bus ride due to the traffic and the high volume of people. But on the succeeding days and more or less finding our way around, sometimes the places we'd be able to take on the bus would be the floor where we'd indian-sit and use our bags or each other as cushions.

At one point, we were standing in the middle aisle of the bus and I remember falling asleep standing. Balancing jet lag and exhausting all our energy in our travels, we'd fall asleep on the bus whether it was during the day or the night.





8. The Human Chains and the Subway Rides
The subway rides were very enjoyable in the morning when everyone had the energy. People from different countries holding their flags start singing and chanting. And even though sometimes we didn't know the songs, we'd clap along or make music with our voices along with the beat.

In the evening, the lines would get very long. On one of the nights, we waited almost a good hour with the end of the line blocks away from the station to be able to hop into the train. To pass the time, we started singing the WYD song and the girls started singing throwback songs from the 90's. We were also able to try out some local bread from one of the stores that we passed by along the way.

Girl band for a night.

The most memorable experience for me here was when we were already at the platform where you could barely move in because of all the people. When one of the train cars opened its doors to let passengers in, in one swift motion when we were all hand in hand, our whole delegation was suddenly in the train. I could remember that force very vividly.
This wasn't the subway but this was everyone making their way back home.

7. Waiting in the White-Beach or the Streets of Copacabana Beach

Hours before the Pope's arrival at the beach on the 1st day, youth delegations from all over the world were already waiting at the beach. Glee and excitement filled all of us when we saw the sand and we all started running and taking photos. Then the rain started pouring so we had to buy raincoats and take out our umbrellas. We also bought these really pretty colorful printed scarves that we used to sit on.

We waited under the drizzle with our umbrellas buried in the sand and clinging together for body heat because of the cold weather.

On the last day when we heard the closing mass with the Pope presiding, the skies were clear and the weather was perfect. It was as if the earth was celebrating with us. While we were waiting, the umbrellas were kept and we all just lay in the sand and let the sun shine on our faces. It was the warmth we looked for after days wrapped in our layers, jackets, and parkas.

I remember Trina was reviewing for her UPCAT during this down time.

My view when I was laying in the sand.

We would also walk near the shore to the other delegations to meet new people and so that we could #6.

6. Making New Friends and Exchanging Trinkets
There were people our age from all over the world - from Canada, to Colombia, to Spain, etc. We were told to bring little trinkets from the Philippines we could exchange with people. I brought key chains that I got from Kultura and some hand made pencil cases my mom brought home from one of her local trips. In exchange, I'd receive rosaries, ballers (there were A LOT of these), button pins, earrings, and keychains branded in the country from where the person who gave it was from.





5. Catechesis Classes
Catechesis classes were spread to different locations in Rio. Our delegation went to a gym. It was here where we celebrated the different ways we expressed our faith. There were some who danced during the offertory of the Holy Mass, there were those who sang songs in the mass with the hint of their culture in it. But it was also in these classes that I saw and experienced the penitential services.


In the courtyard, there were about 10-15 priests scattered to hear the Holy Sacrament of Confession. Being used to having confession with a screen in between the priest and myself, this was a different experience for me.

4. The Hungry Man at KFC
During one of our lunches, I ordered too much food for myself of 10-pieces of chicken divided into two plates of 5. The menu photo made the chicken look a little bigger than chicken nuggets and I said this would be enough to cover my energy until the evening. Only to my surprise, they were about the size of a chicken leg.


Seated in the 2nd floor of the KFC near the Igreja de Candelaria church, I was half way through the first plate when a man in slightly shaggy clothing and looking as if he hasn't freshened up in days approached me.

He started pointing at my food and speaking in a language I could not understand. Then went on to touch my food. I handed him the complete plate of 5 pieces that I have not touched. Maybe he was hungry. Maybe he had a family to eat. Keeping these in mind and ordering more than enough for myself, I didn't complain to KFC anymore about the incident. It would have been too much already for me to ask for more.

But apparently, the manager of the branch saw it and to my surprise he brought me a new batch of 10-pieces of chicken. I was overwhelmed with kindness. He didn't have to do it. So I passed around the chicken and we had more to bring as baon (snack) for the rest of the day.

The manager of the KFC branch near the Igreja de Candelaria Church.
At the same time, it was one of those moments that I had to reflect on. Before we left for Brazil, Brother Alex Diaz told us to reflect on "Why Me?". From all the people who can make it on this trip, why was it us in particular that were there on the journey? This really pushed me to reflect. In a restaurant full of people and being on the 2nd floor, why was it me that that man chose to approach.

3. Seeing Pope Francis
Photo by Bro. Alex Diaz FSC.
After waiting hours at the beach, in my experience I got to see a glimpse of the Pope for only a few seconds. However, it was in those few seconds was when I felt the most of that surge of overwhelming emotions I mentioned in the begging of this entry. I wanted to cry. I wanted to smile. Everyone was cheering for "Papa Francisco" in Portuguese, but when he passed by I went quiet. He had this aura that was beautiful. He is our church leader and by seeing him, I remember how he inspires us, influences us through his actions, and constantly reminds us about our faith, about humanity, and all the simple things we can do for one another as human beings.
The streets piling up with people awaiting his motorcade.

The program before his arrival.


2. The Solidarity of Human Beings



An overwhelming surge of feelings went through every vein in my body when thousands and thousands of people came together in one gathering at the Copacabana beach dancing together to the songs being played in the sound system, singing together to the World Youth Day anthem, and praying the same prayers but in different languages. It was like going to a concert but instead of just celebrating the music, we were professing the same faith. It was overwhelming in a good way. We felt whole. We felt together.

But in the little ways, while sitting on the sand, we'd just talk to one another about our stories and where we came from.

1. The Message of the Pope
It was his homily during the closing mass that really got to me. The main points I took were to not be afraid and to "Go and make disciples of all nations", that this is experience was not meant for us alone but we have to share it, and to live a life of service. By doing these, we are living our faith through our actions. And by giving joy to others, we receive joy in return. His message was simple but meaningful. How wonderful it is to make ordinary work extraordinary.


The World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro was an experience of a lifetime.

"Why Me?" we were asked to reflect. I learned a lot and experienced a whole new different kind of
We used my dad's old radio and
Isa Parco's splitter so that all of us could listen
to the homily being translated to English.
adventure. The event was perfect at that point in my life for many different reasons. But ultimately, answering the question, it was the start of bringing me closer again to the Lord and my faith. And it reminded me of my goals in life and the things I want to do for myself and for others. Keeping in mind what the Pope told us in his homily, it's been keeping my thoughts running and my hands moving towards my dream of people receiving something basic and fundamental - education. I've been doing things in small steps but I have this goal that one day, more and more people will have access to it.

And knowing that I can't do it as a human alone, we need to help each other out. And towards reaching our own personal dreams and living out our purpose in this world, we have to go back to God and put Him at the core and essence of what we do everyday. We offer up our daily actions. We have to show love and compassion to one another.

Being in the middle of the sea of people, I realized that individually, we are one human being in a world that feels way bigger than us, but we have a God that is ultimately greater than everything who will always be there for us.


I am really thankful to have been blessed to have gone on to the World Youth Day 2013. Hopefully more people who would like to go can experience it too. The next one will be in Krakow, Poland in 2016.

All photos were taken by me unless otherwise mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up, reader?